A Feast for Crows by George R Martin
read November 2011

This is book #4 in the "Song of Ice and Fire" series by Martin. Here's a little background info on the books. You may have seen the HBO series "Game of Thrones". Yes? Well, that show mirrors book #1 in the series. (Side note: The HBO show is quite good!) These books were recommended to me last year by one of my employees, who is an avid reader. I downloaded the first book to my Kindle but just couldn't get into it at first. There are A LOT of characters in these books. It's almost overwhelming. And each chapter is told from the viewpoint of a different character. I read the first 2 chapters and then put it down....for a year. But something possessed me to give it another go and I am SOOOO glad that I did! The books take place in the land of Westeros, which is suspiciously similar to medieval England. Various members of the Seven Kingdoms all bicker and squabble for control of the Iron Throne. That's probably as detailed as I should go, or I may give away some good information. I am not a fan of fantasy at all, but these books have an air of historical fiction that appeals to me. Very much so.
So now to book #4. Great book. Long, but well worth the effort. This book introduces us to a TON of new characters. There is a lot of detailed character development in this book, but it barely mentions some of the other main characters that I've grown to love. Like Tyrion (aka The Imp) and Dany. Apparently Martin realized that his book was going to be too big for one book so he just hacked it in half! Fortunately, book #5 was published this year, so I have it on hold at the library. Can't wait for it to come in, but I'm #68, so it may be a while. I cannot wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment