Monday, November 28, 2011

The Talented Mr. Ripley

The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith
read November 2011







This is our November BC book. I realized today that this was due back to the library by Thursday, so I forced myself to power through it today. It actually wasn't that difficult to do, as the book is quite the page turner. Have you seen the movie? Matt Damon plays Tom Ripley, Gwennie Paltrow is Madge and Jude Law is Dickie Greenleaf. The movie's pretty good. As with most books-to-movies, though, I thought the book was much better. What surprises me the most is how modern the book reads. I mean, it was written in 1955, yet it reads very "modern". Tom Ripley is a true sociopath...but when did he turn into one? You get a glimpse that he was involved in some not-so-nice activities before he met Dickie Greenleaf, but we're talking insurance fraud and the like, not murder. Note: I am not endorsing insurance fraud! Something that I find interesting is that Tom seems to vacillate between finding Dickie infuriating and being infatuated with him. I really enjoyed this book. Highsmith wrote a bunch of Tom Ripley books, and I'm intrigued enough to check out the next one in the series, which is 'Ripley Under Ground'.

No comments:

Post a Comment